Friday, October 24, 2008

A Night In the Life of a Sleepless Mom

Sleep, is over rated right?? At least that is what I keep telling myself. This past week has been rather nuts. Just when I was starting to get comfortable with three little blessings and feeling like I could manage, or at least pretending I was doing well, "WHAM!" Kate and Shannon got a nasty cold. This cold was rather typical with the runny nose, and night time coughs and the ever so cute "MOM" love calls in the middle of the night. Last night was a rather eventful night, the ones all moms have and no one talks about it! For those of you with out kids I think this story may be a form of birth control for you!Warning: You are about to read a gripe session from a mom who is totally sleep deprived. It may sound like I am complaining, whining, and venting about the challenges of motherhood. Well to be honest,that is totally true!! It does not ,however, mention how much I truly enjoy my kids. I promise to write about that as soon as I get some sleep! :)

Well, the night started out normal. We put Shannon and Kate to bed at 8:00 and spent the next three hours watching Thursday t.v. and taking care of Lucy. 7-11 seems to be the hours she is most alert! Or shall I say her cute or cranky time. She has mostly cute moments, but then a few crying spells during these hours. Around 11:00 I put Lucy down and was looking forward to a few hours of rest. Well, after about 30 min (you know just enough to get you in that really deep sleep) I hear my first "love call." It was from my little Kate,who has not learned how to whisper and talks in her normal loud voice 24 hours a day. So, I get out of bed in hopes that she won't wake the entire house. Kate then announces that she wants milk. Being that I am a walking zombie, I give in and get her milk. When I give it to her she tells me," I'm silly huh! " With this I smile, agree ,and tell her to please go to sleep.

This interaction woke up Shannon. Being my little princess she insisted that she needed fresh water because the luke warm water was making her throat hurt. Again, to tired to argue , I give in and get the water. So this was another trip to the kitchen, where I get to enjoy the chirping of a cricket who has found its way behind the stove and blesses us with his loud chirp all hours of the night!!

Once I get them happy and crawl back in to bed about 30 minutes later my little Lucy wakes up for her night time feed. I actually enjoy this but it means that I will be up for another 45 min. (Poor Lucy has her first stuffy nose and it seems that as soon as she gets to sleep her nose gets clogged and she snorts herself awake. So my angel baby who was sleeping 3 hours, was up every two hours or less last night. ) As soon as I crawl into bed AGAIN and fall asleep, I hear another "MOM" from the girls room. Being the bad mother I am, I pretend not to listen and roll over praying that it was all a dream and I would get at least an hour of sleep. BUT, I hear it again little louder this time. "MOOOOM" It was my little Kate who I heard coughing almost the whole time I was feeding Lucy. So, I drag myself out of bed and go into her room to find that Kate has made her way into her sisters bed. This time she tells me."Mom, I'm sick huh?" I don't say anything but grab her to put her back into her bed, and tell Shannon to go to sleep. This is when I realize that she is burning up.Poor thing! So out to the kitchen I go for the third time,with Kate shouting "Good Morning" down the hall for all to hear. This woke Dev up but didn't bother the cricket,he was still chirping away!

After searching for the thermometer, I took her temp. and she had 103. I gave her medicine, quickly undressed her and gave her a Popsicle to help cool her down. She loved this, but started to cough terribly while eating it. Devin grabbed her in the middle of the coughing spell just in time for her to throw-up all over him. This caused him to take a shower, and I threw Kate in hoping it would help with the coughing a clean her up.
Meanwhile, I call the pediatrician to see which medicines were safe to give her being that all cold meds. are considered "dangerous" for little ones. She told me to just keep the fever down and take her in to see her in the morning. ( I could tell that she was having one of these nights too,she was grumpy on the phone. ) After about 2 hours we get Kate's fever down and are ready for bed. Dev fell back to sleep. Then my little Lucy woke up and I fed her,changed her diaper, changed her clothes, fed her again and finally lay her down. Meanwhile, Kate is hacking up a lung in her room. So, I decide to go old school and pull out the vapor rub. This worked like magic and finally got her into sleep. AHH it is about 3:45 I was praying for two hours of sleep.

Nope, after about 30 min Lucy's nose was bothering her and she woke up. This time I hit Dev and he went to get her. I comforted her, and we had the bright idea to put her in the bouncy seat! So finally at 4:30 Kate,Lucy and Devin were snoring and...... drum roll please..... we all went to sleep! The cricket however, was still awake, I could almost swear that his chirp was a laugh. It as if he was saying ,"I am not the only one who keeps you up at night!" So when 7:00 rolled around, I was bright eyed and bushy tailed as my day began. The two hours really helped. Thank GOD for coffee, it was my savior today! The ironic part was as soon as we woke-up,that little cricket stopped chirping. I am sure he had a huge grin on his face knowing that he gets to sleep all day! I can't help but be a little jealous!
xoxoxoxo
Meg

P.S The last few pics were taken by my friend Melissa! She is amazing!!

No comments:

Google